Friday, January 25, 2008

"Idoleyes" got me thinking

Although I am pretty much obsessed with quilting there is another thing that verges on obsession.......reading! I really do love to read. Over the past few months I've sorta gotten away from it but I've come up with a plan. Every night my husband goes to bed around 10:30 or 11:00 because he has to get up so early for work. I am a major nightowl so I don't like to go to bed until atleast midnight or sometimes even 1:00. Usually I would just come back downstairs and get stuck on this computer or the television. But starting last Tuesday I've decided to stay in our bed & read after he goes to sleep. I love it! I am getting atleast an hour and usually more like two hours in every night. It feels good to be reading again!

The book I started on Tuesday & actually finished last night was "Idoleyes" by Mandisa. She was a contestant on Season 5 of American Idol. I don't know how many of you out there are watching American Idol but I absolutely love it! Actually I pretty much love all the reality shows on right now!!! Season 5 was probably my very favorite year of American Idol because I really, really liked Chris Daughtry. I thought for sure he would've won & I still believe that he should have. He's awesome!!!!! Anyhow, Mandisa was on that season too & we all liked her alot as well. I was really looking forward to reading her book.

I am so glad that I read this book and would recommend it to anyone! She is so down to earth and such a "real" person. It was fun to read about the behind the scenes things with American Idol. The biggest thing I loved about this book though was reading about her Christianity and the way she tried to live her life. She is very close to God and very strong in her beliefs. I would imagine it could've been difficult to follow the path of American Idol and remain grounded in her religious beliefs but she did it with flying colors.

This book really got me thinking about my own relationship with God. I want to work on it. I want to feel the strength that Mandisa writes about. She relies on Him for everything and I want to be that way as well. No, she isn't perfect & she writes about doubting God after she got voted off of American Idol. But she also overcame that and her faith was stronger in the end. I have already learned from her that I need to trust God and really follow where I feel he is leading me. It's a wonderful gift when such a small book can make me open my eyes and change my life!!

No comments: